Alec Deacon myfamilysurvivalplan
If you`re wondering what makes sodas so delicious that you just want to drink more and more… it`s flame retardant. I`m kidding. That`s not the ONLY chemical that makes sodas delicious. There are many others, but flame retardant has just been discovered in soft drinks like Mountain Dew, Fanta Orange, Squirt, and some flavors of Gatorade and Powerade.
According, to Natural News, this type of chemical found in soft drinks contains brominated vegetable oil (BVO), a patented flame retardant for plastics that has been banned in foods throughout Europe and in Japan.
In US, on the other hand, it`s found in about 10 percent of sodas.
Environmental News tells us a bit more about the effects in an article: “After a few extreme soda binges — not too far from what many gamers regularly consume – a few patients have needed medical attention for skin lesions, memory loss and nerve disorders, all symptoms of overexposure to bromine.”
And these are just the most common effects. Studies (on both animals and humans) have shown that high doses of BVO can be lead to lower fertility (or even infertility), early puberty onset and impaired neurological development. It also build up in the heart, liver and fat tissue and may appear in breast milk, as well.
But even if the evidence is as clear as it can get, the FDA still considers “safe” to have flame retardant in our drinks. Here`s the e-mail ABC News received in their inbox:
“Brominated vegetable oil is considered safe by FDA for use as a flavoring adjuvant in fruit-flavored beverages based on a large margin of safety between the expected human exposure from its use and the highest no-observed-adverse effect levels from several long-term animal studies that were conducted on this substance”.
Brominated vegetable oil
But WHY is there flame retardant in our drinks in the first place? No matter the dose, I find it abnormal to have such chemicals in food and drinks. And if the whole Europe and Japan agrees with me on this one, then maybe I`m not just a paranoid consumer.
In fact, there were others before me asking why soft drinks producers in the US don`t switch to a safer adjuvant, like they did in the EU. And the answer is “it`s too expensive”. And that`s coming from companies with millions of dollars in profit! It`s too expensive not to give you cancer, infertility and brain development issues. And FDA thinks they`re doing a pretty good job at it, so they`re off the hook.
Just as they managed to get away with a lot of other chemicals found in sodas, as well as in plastics, kerosene or hormonal meds. A biologist who conducted studies on chems found in soft drinks was so alarmed by what she discovered, that she swore never to consume such products ever again:
And she`s not the only one who came to this conclusion. Just take a look at these test results:
- Even moderate consumption — a can a day, or just two a week — may alter our metabolism so that we pile on weight.
- In children, soft drinks have been linked to addict-like cravings, as well as twisting kids’ appetites so they hunger for junk food.
- A study conducted by Bangor University suggested they can cause weight gain and long-term health problems if drunk every day for as little as a month.
- Soft drinks alter metabolism, so that our muscles use sugar for energy instead of burning fat.
- They also increases the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Blood tests found soft-drink fans had higher levels of harmful inflammation in their blood vessels, and lower levels of ‘good’ HDL cholesterol.
- Meanwhile, soft drinks with high levels of fruit juice may cause severe long-term liver damage, according to an Israeli study.
- People who drank two cans of these drinks a day were five times more likely to develop fatty liver disease — a precursor to cirrhosis and liver cancer. (info from www.dailymail.co.uk)
So next time when you`re holding a soda can in your hand, thinking how delicious it tastes, think of what makes it so delicious: flame retardant and other chemicals that turn your body into jello. That should turn your craving into disgust in no time.
Incoming search terms: