This brings a whole new meaning to the phrase “food poisoning.” Original list found in Dr. Jayson Calton and Certified Nutritionist Mira Calton’s new book, Rich Food, Poor Food.
1. Artificial food dye:
Makes your food pretty and inhibits nerve-cell development.
Found in: Practically everything we eat: cake mixes, sports drinks, cheese, candy, and even MACARONI AND CHEESE.
Why it’s dangerous: Artificial dyes are made from chemicals derived from PETROLEUM, which is also used to make gasoline, diesel fuel, asphalt and TAR! Artificial dyes have been linked to brain cancer, nerve-cell deterioration, and hyperactivity, just to name a few things.
Where it’s banned: Norway, Finland, Austria, France, and the U.K.
For more information on artificial dyes, visit 100 Days of Real Food.
2. Olestra (or Olean): Lowers calorie counts while causing vitamin depletion and anal leakage.
Found in: Fat-free potato chips, corn chips, and French fries.
Why it’s dangerous: Created by Procter & Gamble as a substitue for cooking oil, Olestra robs your body of its ability to absorb vitamins. Fun side effects include cramps and leaky bowels.
Where it’s banned: The U.K. and Canada.
For more information on Olestra, visit Time magazine’s “50 Worst Inventions.”
Makes food dye stick to liquid, but also may cause birth defects and major organ damage.
Found in: Sports drinks and citrus-flavored sodas.
Why it’s dangerous: Bromine is a chemical used to stop CARPETS FROM CATCHING ON FIRE, so you can see why drinking it may not be the best idea. BVO is linked to major organ system damage, birth defects, growth problems, schizophrenia, and hearing loss.
Where it’s banned: In over 100 countries.
For more info on BVO, visit Web MD’s “Brominated Vegetable Oil Q&A.”
4. Potassium bromate (or bromated flour):
Great for impatient bakers, bad for your kidneys and nervous system.
Found in: Wraps, rolls, bread crumbs, bagel chips, flat breads.
Why it’s dangerous: Derived from the same harmful chemical as brominated vegetable oil, brominated flour is used to decrease baking time and reduce costs. Only problem is, it’s linked to kidney damage, cancer, and nervous system damage.
Where it’s banned: Europe, Canada, and China.
For more information on potassium bromate, visit Live Science’s “The Truth About Potassium Bromate.”
Bleaches flour, plastic, and induces asthma as an added bonus.
Found in: Breads, frozen dinners, boxed pasta mixes, and packaged baked goods.
Why it’s dangerous: Used to bleach both flour and FOAMED PLASTIC (yoga mats and sneakers soles), azodicarbonamide has been known to induce asthma.
Where it’s banned: Australia, the U.K., and most European countries.
For more information on azodicarbonamide, visit Food-u-cate.
6. BHA & BHT:
Waxy preservatives linked to cancer and tumors.
Found in: Cereal, nut mixes, gum, butter, meat, dehydrated potatoes.
Why it’s dangerous: Used to keep food from becoming rancid, BHA and BHT are known to cause cancer in rats. And we’re next!
Where it’s banned: England, Japan, and many other European countries.
For more information on BHT and BHA, visit Berkley Wellness’ “Two Preservatives To Avoid?”
7. Synthetic growth hormones rBGH and rBST:
Harm cows and can give humans breast, colon, and prostate cancer.
Found in: Milk and dairy products.
Why it’s dangerous: Growth hormones are bad for cows and people, causing infertility, weakened muscle growth, and a whole array of cancers.
Where it’s banned: Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Japan, and the EU.
Basically this ish will slowly kill you.
Found in: Poultry.
Why it’s dangerous: Used as chicken feed to make their meat appear pinker and fresher, arsenic is POISON, which will kill you if you ingest enough.
Where it’s banned: The EU.
For more information on arsenic, visit NPR’s “How Trace Amounts Of Arsenic End Up In Grocery Store Meat.”
More and more people are choosing to eat a vegetarian diet for reasons including health, environmental, religious, personal, economic, and compassion for animals.
The American Dietetic Association has affirmed that a vegetarian diet can meet all known needs for nutrients
In fact, vegetarians generally have fewer occurrences of heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity and some types of cancer.
Eating Vegetarian the Healthy Way
Simply eating vegetarian or vegan does not ensure that you are living a healthier lifestyle. The key to a healthy vegetarian diet, as with any other diet, is to eat a wide variety of foods, including fruits, vegetables, leafy greens, whole grain products, nuts, seeds, and legumes (peas and beans).
- Include a wide variety of whole grains, beans, vegetables and fruits: Don’t get in a rut with the same foods day after day. This will not only lead to boredom but may cause you to miss some important vitamins and minerals.
- Beware of higher calorie, higher fat vegetarian selections: Even vegetarians can get too much fat if their diet contains large amounts of nuts, oils, processed foods, sweets, dairy products or eggs.
- Be relaxed about protein: As long as calories are sufficient and the diet is varied, most vegetarians easily meet protein needs
Vegans who eat absolutely no animal products need to be sure to include the following nutrients :
- Vitamin B12—
- Vitamin D—source sunshine.
- Calcium— important sources include broccoli, seeds, nuts, kale, bok choy, legumes, most all greens, and FRESH orange juice most fruits.
- Iron—sources include legumes, green leafy vegetables, raisons, figs,
Absorption is improved by vitamin C, found in citrus fruits and juices, tomatoes, strawberries, broccoli, peppers, dark-green leafy vegetables and potatoes with skins eat if only ORGANIC.
- Zinc—sources include whole grains (especially the germ and bran), legumes, nuts oranges
- Protein—sources include legumes, seeds, nuts, vegetables, and fruit, fish
Please Donate Now
Please note that if you wish to make any amount of contribution to us, you can send it to us using Paypal ID firstname.lastname@example.org.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.
Incoming search terms:
- 8 foods we eat that are banned in other countries (24)
- 8 foods banned in other countries that we eat in the us (1)
- why has Cyanocobalamin been banned in Japan? (1)
- Foods we eat in the usa and are banned in other countries (1)
- eight foods that are banned in the us (1)
- banned foods in libya (1)
- 8 foods we eat in the us that are banned (1)
- 8 foods we eat banned (1)
- 8 foods we ear that are banned in other countries (1)
- why is ergocalciferol banned (1)